Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rapist on the loose


House hunting is always difficult…but  now it seems I can get through to IIMs with lesser effort than this… after 6 weeks of  attempts outnumbering the hair in my head, and turning up with miserable results every time, it seems like we have attempted the mere impossible… I wouldn’t be surprised if India wins the hockey gold medal in London 2012 Olympics*, but I will be terribly surprised if I find a room in Sangamner in the next two weeks…
And with that, I am now realistically facing the prospects of being homeless in the very  near future…

The enormity of this challenge is compounded by several factors which count against me…
                                                           
1)      I am single…* and I used to be glad bout it!*… (sigh)..
2)      I am manageable to look at…and have a skin complexion which clearly discriminates me according to their standards...
3)      I have a criterion of a clean lavatory to be available either attached or near the room….


Now I can still compromise in the 3rd factor…but on the first two, I have no control…. I just can’t help it… While house hunting in Sangamner, the first thing people ask is whether I am single or married… and can you even comprehend the shame of a 26 year guy having to say he is still a bachelor? There definitely must be something wrong about this guy which he isn’t revealing….


A typical conversation with a potential landlord goes like this:

Me: Do you have a room?

Landlord (potential) : are you bachelor or married?
Me (smiling): I am a bachelor (sic)

Landlord (potential) : what’s your age?

Me(faking another smile): 26 years

Landlord (potential) : *looks away…thinks for a few sec-the guy is 26 and unmarried-must have some past history which he isn’t revealing*… and you still aren’t married?

Me (another fake smile): No

Landlord (potential) : Sorry I can’t rent out my house to a bachelor…I have a daughter/mother/sister/wife/or any female relationship which you can care to think of…..

Me (frowning and thinking): *WTF…am I a bloody rapist on the loose or what?*


But honestly I don’t blame these guys… they belong to a section of society where guys marry at 22, girls mostly marry even younger … one interesting observation which stuck me a few days back is: in the last 1 month or so…the villages I have been to, I have either seen girls in school dresses (if they have one) carrying books, or I have seen girls tugging their kids along…. There just doesn’t seem to be any girl which doesn’t belong to any other category….at least not in public places… weird? expected? Something to worry about?

Whatever it is…seems like homelessness is the only option I am staring at right now…so incase you know anyone or have any contacts in Sangamner who is willing to rent a house…please let me know…till then, the only thing I can do is curse Nepolean…. It was easy for him to say the word impossible doesn’t exist in his dictionary….but then...Clearly he had never hunted for a rented house in Sangamner….


*India is still struggling to qualify for hockey in London Olympics 2012, but hopefully they will qualify and go on to give us a Chak De moment to cherish…

4 comments:

  1. The starred point I liked..So can I call you as a perfectionist...Now a days readers want to much exaggeration,that's there here..Interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Punter: well i owe it to write facts..and have also tried to provide sources for any quotes/poems/songs which i have typed...coz i aint no plagiarist..;)
    perfectionist- dats a real strong word... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. took me a while to find your blog :P. Great going! (dhrubaa)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hese hese more gelam re... You are becoming awesome writer bro... :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...drop me a note here..